"The language is engaging and accessible with many empirical examples, and the conversational style is in stark relief to many of the mainstream formal texts on social research methods."
- Luke Sloan, Qualitative Research
"No jargon, no mystification...not patronising. Experienced and new social researchers alike will certainly feel more secure and must do better research as a result of this publication."
- Australian Journal of Social Issues
- Elizabeth Reid, United Nations Development Program, New York
"This is a first-rate text. Students had one problem with it; because it was not turgid like other texts they felt it lacked sufficient depth. It was only when they were into their research that they understood what a great reference it is."
- Richard A. Couto, Union Institute and University
"Practical in its content, sophisticated in its ideas, the book shows a passion for making social science a tool of democracy. I know of nothing else that is half as good."
- Professor Raewyn Connell, University of Sydney