Most Left Coast titles are available in electronic format on our web site. You can instantly download eBooks directly to your computer or handheld device and read them using Adobe® Digital Editions software, a free download from Adobe (maker of Acrobat).
Left Coast eBooks are also available to individuals through an expanding range of retail sites, including Amazon Kindle and Google Books, and to libraries through the major institutional vendors.
More information for:
How can I read my Digital Editions eBook? Back to Top
Your Digital Editions eBook is compatible with:
- Most eReaders, including the Barnes & Noble Nook, the Kobo eReader, the Sony E-reader, and many others
- Your computer, Mac or PC
- iPhone and iPad: we recommend the app Bluefire Reader
- Android devices
Please note that some devices, including Amazon's Kindle devices, are locked to their own stores and won't be able to load eBooks bought at our site. We do sell some e-book titles for Kindle at Amazon as well.
How do I access my eBook? Back to Top
After buying an eBook through the Left Coast shopping cart, you will receive an order confirmation and a link to download your eBook, as well as a link to Adobe's Digital Editions software. You will create an Adobe ID, and and only the one user with that ID can access the content. You can register six unique devices to your ID, so you can backup, copy, or transfer digital content between devices. For further information on using Adobe's Digital Editions software, please consult the Adobe's Digital Editions FAQ.
What can I do with my eBook? Back to Top
- You can read and annotate the contents of the eBook on six unique devices via a single ID.
- You can print up to 50 pages of the book. (If you prefer to read from a printed page, we suggest that you buy the print edition rather than the eBook.)
- You can copy and paste text from the eBook document one page at a time. (Note: We can't promise that you'll copy perfect text out of every book. Please expect that copied and pasted text will require proofreading.)
Rent or buy? Back to Top
Many of our eBooks are available for 6-month rental, a cheaper option that is handy if you need the book for immediate research or for a course, but don't need to access it forever. If you purchase a rental, the Adobe Digital Editions file will disable 6 months after you first download it.
Can I return an eBook? Back to Top
Unfortunately, we cannot make our eBooks returnable. But to help you purchase the correct one and use it easily, we offer the following:
- You can review parts of our books before you buy them. Descriptions, reviews, tables of contents, and excerpts of most of our titles can be found on our website. For most of our titles, you can also search full text on our website and preview text on Google Book Search.
- We will answer any questions about what you can do with your eBook, compatibility with your computer and devices, or other technical questions. If your question is not addressed in these FAQs, please contact us before you buy.
- If you have trouble after you make a purchase, we provide technical support to help you access and use your eBook.
Can I buy an eBook from outside the U.S.? Back to Top
Customers outside the U.S. should buy eBooks or orders including both eBooks and print books directly from the Left Coast web site. When you put an eBook in your cart, choose "All eBook orders and combined eBook & Print orders" (do not choose the distributor in your region).
Need more help? Back to Top
If you are having trouble downloading your eBook, contact us!