Listen to LCP Publisher Mitch Allen's "The Museum Life" Interview
March 20th, 2015
Ever wanted to know what it’s like to be in book publishing, especially for your favorite, slightly off center, reasonably priced academic and professional resources book publisher? Now’s your chance! Listen to Left Coast Publisher Mitch Allen’s interview on “The Museum Life” hosted by Carol Bossert on VoiceAmerica Radio. In the interview, he discusses the pleasures (and occasional perils) of life as a book publisher, especially in the museum studies realm, as we celebrate our 10th anniversary.
for the audio.
Author Patricia Leavy Recipient of ICQI's Special Career Achievement Award
March 11th, 2015
Major kudos to our author Patricia Leavy! She’ll be honored with the “Special Career Achievement Award” at the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois in May. This is due in large part to her efforts in helping to advance arts-based research.
Learn more about Patricia’s Left Coast books here
Author Joe Norris to be Honored with a Major Award at AERA
March 10th, 2015
Congrats to our author Joe Norris! He's the recipient of the Tom Barone Award for Distinguished Contributions to Arts Based Educational Research given by the American Educational Research Association’s Arts-Based Educational Research Special Interest Group. This award is presented to an individual whose professional career has significantly advanced the field of arts based educational research through extraordinary and significant leadership, research, teaching, professional practice, and/or service. He'll receive the award during AERA's annual meeting next month in Chicago.
Check out Joe’s two Left Coast books here
Coming to Narrative wins ICQI Book Award
March 3rd, 2015
We were pleased to hear that Art Bochner's book Coming to Narrative was awarded Book of the Year by the International Congress for Qualitative Inquiry. Art will receive his award at the Congress in May in Urbana. Art is a long-term partner of Left Coast and coeditor of our Writing Lives book series. Congratulations, Art!
Transcribing Silence wins ICQI Book Honorable Mention Award
March 3rd, 2015
We're pleased to learn that Kristine Munoz's book Transcribing Silence received honorable mention from the International Congress for Qualitative Inquiry book award. Her book addresses the concept of silence as a form of communication through a set of captivating autoethnographic essays and short fictional pieces. Congratulations Kristine.
It's Our 10th B'day + Our Annual Contest
March 2nd, 2015
It's our 10th Birthday...but you get the present!
Your favorite cutting-edge, reasonably priced, slightly off center publisher of academic titles officially turns ten this month. Yes, it's been ten long years since we staked a claim in the East Bay of San Francisco and published our first book (David Whitley's Introduction to Rock Art Research). And we couldn't have survived this long with our invaluable authors and customers!
From today until the end of the month, we're offering you, our loyal customers, FREE SHIPPING on all ground shipment orders made online. This is in addition to our usual 15% web discount. Take advantage of us, err...it... while you can. (please see details below).
In addition, we're announcing our annual contest!
A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words (or Least a Free Book)
We're tweens now. And tweens are into sending photos of themselves. So send us a picture of you reading a Left Coast book with an explanation of where you were when the photo was taken. Reading Merrill Singer's Anthropology of Infectious Disease under a palm tree in Bora Bora? Or maybe you and your favorite pet iguana are curled up on the hammock reading The Origins and Spread of Domestic Animals in Southwest Asia and Europe. The more exotic, offbeat, or simply funny photo of you with a Left Coast book, the better. We want to see it! Three winners will win a free paperback or eBook of their choice. Please keep your entries to no more than three photos.
The Fine Print on the Free Shipping Offer
1. All online orders placed on the Left Coast Website receive free shipping between now and March 31, 2015.
2. Books must be ordered from our website at www.lcoastpress.com. The free shipping offer will automatically be taken into account when you check out.
3. Be sure to choose the appropriate territory option when ordering. If you live outside of North America, you already automatically get free (non-expedited) shipping through our distributors Eurospan (for Europe, Asia, and the Middle East) and through FootPrint (for Australia and New Zealand).
4. If you experience any issues ordering, please contact our distributor (Chicago Distribution Center) at 1.800.621.2736.
The Fine Print on the Contest
1. Send us up to 3 of your best shots of yourself with a Left Coast title to
explore@LCoastPress.com from now until March 31. Don't even think of using Photoshop!
2. We'll whittle down the options here at Left Coast HQ. We'll pick two of the winners and announce them on our Facebook page (www.Facebook.com/LeftCoastPress) the first week of April.
3. You, our loyal customers, will get to pick the third winner based on choices we post on our Facebook page. This winner will also be selected the first week of April and announced on our Facebook page as well.
4. The three winners will get to choose a free paperback of her/his choice.
Thanks to all of our customers for your continued support!
All the best,
The Left Coast Staff
March Madness—Academic Conference Style
March 2nd, 2015
We've got a busy travel month here at Left Coast! We’re hitting the road, bringing our cutting-edge resources to you at the following conferences. If you're attending any of them, stop by, say hi, and check out our new and bestselling titles.
- Alaska Anthropological Association (Anchorage, AK: March 4 -7): We'll have books, catalogs, and other materials on display.
- Society for Applied Anthropology (Pittsburgh, PA: March 24 – 28): Come check out our new and bestselling titles at our booth.
- American Association of Physical Anthropology (St. Louis, MO: March 25 – 29): We'll be in attendance with books and flyers--don't miss us!
- Society for California Archaeology (Redding, CA: March 12 – 15): We'll have a display of books and flyers.
Make Your Bookshelf Happy By Adding These Hot-Off-The-Presses Titles
February 6th, 2015
"What's shakin' book-wise, Left Coast?" you ask. Lots! Here are the latest, your-bookshelf -will-be-desolate-until-you-purchase-these-new-titles in...
Don't forget that you always save 15% (30% on hardcover-only titles) when you order directly on our site.
Our Author Nancy MacKay is very WISE
February 4th, 2015
Congrats to Left Coast author Nancy MacKay, who won the WISE Instructor of the Year Award! The Web-based Information Science Education (WISE) Consortium (http://www.wisepedagogy.org/) helps faculty and doctoral students develop effective online teaching practices within the context of Library Information Science education.
Rita Denny and Patricia Sunderland Talk Anthropology in Business in Recent Podcast
January 20th, 2015
Last week, the New Books Network's anthropology site posted a podcast interview with LCP authors Rita Denny and Patricia Sunderland. In the podcast, the pair of business anthropology experts discuss their most recent book, the edited volume Handbook of Anthropology in Business. In the interview, the pair discuss the origins and purpose of the Handbook, as well as going deep into the intersection between anthropology and business.
You can listen to the full interview on the New Books in Anthropology website, at this link.
Easing You into 2015 with Helpful Ordering Tips and Hints
January 7th, 2015
No rest for the weary (or wicked) here at Left Coast HQ and (we suspect) everyone else as we all head back to work or school as 2015 gets underway.
If you're pondering how to spend part (or all) of your holiday bonus and/or which books you want to use in the classroom, we can help you with that!
Here are some quick suggestions on how you can get your Left Coast titles quickly and easily.
- We have eBook versions of most of our titles. You can discover more about our eBooks here
- Our interactive catalogs featuring new and bestselling titles can be found here
- You can always browse all of our titles here
- If you’re an instructor, click here if you want information on ordering eBook or physical exam and/or desk copies.
- Don’t forget that paperback books are always 15% off and certain hardcovers are 30% off when you order directly on our website
- Be social with us! You can Like on Facebook; Follow us on Twitter; and Check Out our YouTube Channel
Left Coast Sweeps the 2014 Choice Magazine Outstanding Academic Titles Derby!
January 6th, 2015
Happy 2015! This year promises to be a big one for us, as we celebrate our 10-year anniversary.
And we’re starting out the year with some fantastic news. Six (6!) of our titles have been honored as Choice Magazine's Outstanding Academic Title winners! This is a huge recognition from the American Library Association’s magazine dedicated to reviews of academic books and digital resources for the higher education field.
Be sure to tell your university librarian to order these award-winning titles:
Congratulations to these authors!